“Educators engage in professional learning.”

Teachers should take part in any kind of professional learning. Any kind of learning is important. We should never stop learning. When we stop learning then our students are not going to get the best education we can offer them. Everyone is always learning and we should take every opportunity we can to.

During the Early Learning Conference, I learned so much. In the morning, I went to a Literacy workshop with Adrienne Gear she made me more interested in teaching literacy. We tend to forget the things we know someone had to teach us. The breakdown of teaching someone to read sounds so crazy and a lot of work but after her workshop she made it sound so easy. Sharing resources and how to add them into a routine. The biggest takeaway was grouping students into what their reading needs are rather than their reading level. Students might be on the same level but need to work on different things. The keynote speaker Denise Augustine made us talk openly and ask questions we normally wouldn’t ask a stranger. Questions like “What kind of hardship have you had to overcome?” Which broke me out of my comfort zone. I have a hard time talking to unknown people, but I had a good conversation with somebody I didn’t know. It showed the power of connection. Lastly, in the afternoon I went to the Connecting Classrooms to Community workshop with Vanessa Elton, and it was so informative and engaging. It made me excited to have my own class and hopefully can show them their community. She talked about how even the small things like walking around the block are important. She connected it to First Peoples Principles of Learning and shared lots of different resources especially one from the FNSEC (First Nations Education Steering Committee) about learning from land and community. Overall, I’m so glad we got to attend this conference and want to attend more. Can’t wait to put all the stuff I learned into practice one day.

Whether it’s a conference, presentation, or a small get-together learning about different strategies, topics, new or old programs even the reality of the profession. Educators need to keep learning and improving.