This past weekend my classmates and I got the opportunity to present at WestCast in Calgary, AB at the University of Calgary. We presented “Grounded Connections” using Sitspot and our senses. was an enriching experience that allowed me to share insights, connect with fellow educators, and grow both personally and professionally. In this reflection, I’ll delve into the highlights of my presentation and the valuable lessons I learned from the event. Leading up to WestCAST, there was a flurry of preparation. Crafting the presentation required meticulous planning, from structuring the content to designing engaging visuals. Each detail was carefully considered to ensure clarity and relevance to the audience. We wanted to show other educators how learning from and on the land has benefits for ourselves and our students. During the activity Sitspot you sit down, allowing yourself to fully relax and unwind. You take slow, deep breaths, inhaling the fresh air of the natural world around you.
As you sit, you become attuned to the sights, sounds, and sensations of nature.

We started with our presentation laying the ground work connecting our activity to BC’s curriculum, First Peoples Principles of Learning, and Wellness. Then we took those who came to our workshop outside. We started wth a sensory warm-up and then got them to do Sitspot. Well, stand spot it snowed a lot that day. Everyone pushed through the weather and we all had a great experience. The conversations with other educators was inspiring and encouraging. Beyond the presentation itself, WestCAST offered a vibrant forum for networking and collaboration. Engaging with fellow educators, researchers, and practitioners provided invaluable insights and perspectives. Through shared experiences and dialogue, I gained a deeper understanding of the multifaceted challenges and opportunities within the field of education

Looking back on my experience at WestCAST, I am struck by the transformative power of stepping outside my comfort zone. The experience served as a crucible for personal and professional growth, pushing me to embrace uncertainty, confront my fears, and pursue excellence in my practice.